Monday, June 7, 2010

Rockin' N Rollin'

Last year Tim ran in the Rock N Roll Marathon.  Due to an injury he was supposed to walk most of the marathon, but in the end he ran the whole thing.  While I was watching I became inspired to run.  I wanted to be a part of this fun event and run at least a portion of the marathon.  So, last year I made the goal of being able to run at least a portion of the Rock N Roll relay.   My goal of running only became stronger when we found out about Alison's diagnosis of lymphoma.  The proceeds from the Rock N Roll go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, so I had an even more personal reason for running.
When I got pregnant with Addy, I immediately started trying to figure out if I would have enough time to train for the long portion of the relay.  I figured that I would at least try and if I put my mind to it, I could do it.  I also convinced Alison & Tim they wanted to run a leg of the relay.  Tim also recruited his coworker, Cynthia, to run a leg, so we were set for our team.
So, I started off at 6:30 am to do my 7.4 miles.  I was successful in jogging (not running) my portion in under 13 minute mile pace (my goal).  Cynthia, Tim, & then Alison were also successful in completing their portions and as a team we were able to complete the full marathon in just a little over 5 hours.  Thank you Team Alibelle!!  You were awesome!

To make the day even more special, Cyndy, Josh, & my Uncle Dick ran in the half marathon.  They finished the WHOLE thing in about 3 1/2 hours.  I am so proud of my whole family!  We all set out to achieve our personal goals and were all able to.  Congratulations again, Cyndy, Josh, & Uncle Dick!  You rocked!

When we got home Tim, Addy, & I all took nice long naps.  We were all exhausted.

Then Tim & I celebrated with good bottle of champagne.  It tasted delicious after a long day. 

Now that I have done 7.4 miles, I am thinking I am going to aim for 13.1 next year.  Anyone want to join me for the half-marathon?  :-)

3 comments:

Becky @ Rub Some Dirt On It said...

That is so inspiring! I'm so proud of you guys :) And so soon after having a baby--I think you're miraculous!

Cyndy said...

Yeah! Great job! It was very difficult for me but I'm so glad that I did it! If I'm still on track for running next year, I'll run the half with ya! We're aiming for the SJ 1/2 in October for now... we'll see! Thank to you too for running! You're awesome!!!

Alison said...

I am so proud of us all! Though I was just glad that I finished the longer than expected portion of my race!! :)

Love you lots (PS - I am all caught up on the blog now, loved the videos!)