Saturday, February 5, 2011

Round Two

Last weekend, I was yet again a cupcake-making machine.  While it does take some time, I have really enjoyed making these cupcakes.  Good thing Addy is having a birthday so I have an excuse to exercise my baking creativity. :-)

First batch: Salted Caramel Cupcakes
This cupcakes took me out of my comfort zone on several levels.  First, I had never made caramel before on my own.  Thank goodness I had my littlest sister, Mandy, here to help.  She's made caramel before, although she was severely burned in the process.  Mandy was ready to redeem herself and I needed some help. Together, we were a good team and made some really delicious caramel.  Second, I had never made my own frosting and for this recipe, I had to make caramel frosting.  Overall, a super easy process that sounds more daunting than it actually is.

These are best cupcakes I have made...absolutely delicious and they will most definitely be on the menu for Addy's party. I need to figure out how to gracefully put the caramel on top and make it pretty, but that is all I really need to change.  I also have discovered cupcakes are better the day after you make them...when the frosting has stiffened and the cupcakes have firmed. 

Second batch: Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting, some with caramel filling
This was my own creation.  I took several recipes and made them my own. There was some left over caramel from the Salted Caramel, so I used it to fill some of these with caramel.

These were kind of like this picture...lacking color.  The cupcake was not chocolatey enough and the frosting was too wet.  The caramel didn't really add much to the cupcake, so I am not sure I would try it again in the chocolate cupcake.  The wrappers were also crummy, which didn't help the situation.  I am definitely going to stick with the Reynolds foil wrappers, they are big and non-stick.

I know this cupcake adventure is thrilling, but it is good for me to write it all down. :-)  Then I can remember my first opinions and not a glorified version of the story.  :-)

No comments: