Saturday, March 20, 2010

It's the Little Things

This morning I have been thinking about how I was going to write this entry...so here we go.

A couple of years ago I was in a car accident.  A pretty serious car accident.  I was not injured in any way, shap,e or form, which if you saw my car, you would agree was a miracle.  Since that day I have tried very hard to be thankfully for every day I have been given and tried to be thankful for the big things, but not to forget the little things either.

Yesterday, Adelyn turned 1 month old.  Amazing.  Time has flown by so fast and I find myself forgetting to enjoy all of the little things she does.  She coos, caas, grunts, makes funny faces, smiles, and looks like an angel when she sleeps.  I have tried to take many pictures to document all of these things, but sometimes I just don't have a camera or if I am holding her the moment will be gone before I can get a picture.  So, yesterday I decided to just shoot a video of her awake in her bouncer.  It is not an exciting video, but it will help me remember how little she is and how cute she is when she is just interacting with me.

A couple of hours later, Tim called me to tell me he would be home late from work.  What a great guy, right?  Unfortunately, the reason was not good.  His coworker, and friend, Miles was killed yesterday afternoon by a drunk driver.  Needless to say Tim & his coworkers (including Miles' girlfriend who works at Tim's store) were very upset and Tim was just trying to keep the store going.   So, while I was trying to get dinner going and my baby fed so she could cuddle with her daddy, I was thinking again about the little things.  How I get to have dinner with my husband, enjoy a glass of wine, and of course, enjoy spending time with my little girl. We are very lucky to have each other and our little things.

So, now that I am done with my little reflection, please go out and enjoy your little things.  Maybe this video can be one of them:



Note: Addy gets hiccups ALL the time.  If you listen closely, you can hear them. :-)   And lots of love to those of you reading this.  You are part of our little things too.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Thank you for reminding me about the little things. I take each day for granted, as I think most people do. I will try to be better about enjoying everyday. Tim has lost an amazing friend which makes me hurt for him.

I am lucky to have sweet videos of Addy Kay to remind me how wonderful things can be! I love the three of you to no end <3

Cyndy said...

How sweet! I definetly feel that I am good at remembering the little things. I couldn't agree more, they are what matter the most. Give Tim a hug from us!

Anonymous said...

Love the video! It gives me my "Addy" fix!

Love, Grandma Patty

Becky @ Rub Some Dirt On It said...

Very poignant, Alana. Thanks for the reminder of what's really important (and the cute video!)

Alana said...

Thanks for the nice comments. This was just something I had to write on Saturday because I felt I needed to. Glad you all enjoyed the video! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have watched this video so many, many times. It is wonderful to see her in action and her expressions are great. Love the still pictures but REALLY love the videos!

Love, Grandma Carolyn